02 December 2003

Divorce

My mind and I are no longer on speaking terms
I’m now waiting for the divorce decree
Perhaps cruel and unusual punishment and harm
I imagine she’ll want full custody of my memories
Their value is diminished as it is
Long ago deserted, unquestionably neglected

My head is now vacant
My eyes just blank stares
I look around and see nothing
Nothing, nowhere
The forest is missing its trees, the sky its stars
Saturn its rings, men their Mars

Orbital now, what’s remaining of me?
As you can obviously see, some caffeinated cadaver
With coffee mocha blend for blood
My veins some ductwork with autopilot
Like a train on its way to wreck
Like some unintended casualty on their way to death

I commented at the time that this was "easily the most bizarre stuff I've ever written." I still feel that way! This was the first in a trio of poems I had written during finals week, while I was practically living at the main library, working twenty-four-hours-a-day to finish my classes. I passed every class that semester with an A or a B, and it was almost solely because of the work I did that week! These three poems were what I did when I could do no more psychology or economics. They were great then, and I enjoy them muchly now.

No comments: